I have been working on CRM 4.0 project for quite a while but recently our client asked us to enable them to be able to export more than 10000 numbers of records to Excel utilising CRM’s “Advanced Find” utility.
CRM, by default, only allows not more than 10000 records to export to Excel. There are couple of ways to increase that limit.
Note: CRM generates Excel on the server side by creating a temporary file in memory and transfers the file through HTTP stream to the client side. I guess the limit is there to ensure server’s optimal performance. If different users are requesting a large chunk of records then it can impact server’s performance. I mean, do it only when you know what you are doing ;-).
Update entry for MaxRecordsForExportToExcel in OrganizationBase table
1. Log on to SQL Server where CRM database is stored
2. Edit OrganizationBase table
3. Find MaxRecordsForExportToExcel column and update the default entry with the one that suits your needs
4. Restart IIS or Application Pool under which CRM website is running for the changes to take effect
5. Restart of Application Pool is recommended if the server is hosting more than one websites
Increase limit via Registry
1. Open windows registry (Start -> regedit)
2. Now navigate to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSCRM”
3. See if there is an entry called “maxrecordsforexporttoexcel”
4. If there is one already then edit the entry and modify the value which is by default 10000
5. If there is no such entry already available select “Edit -> New -> DWord Value” and select decimal and enter the value of the number of records you want to be able to export to Excel
6. Exit registry
I followed the SQL version and was successfully able to export more than 10000 records. The reason I have included Registry method to increase limit so that my friends, who do not have knowledge of SQL or access to SQL Server can benefit from it
Hope this post helps, enjoy!!!!