This blog is in connection with my blog “The instance name must be the same as computer name”. (read this post if you have changed your server name after SQL server installation)
During CRM 2011 installation I came across the error “Setup failed to validate specified Reporting Services Report Server”. This was due to renaming the server after SQL server installation.
In event viewer the exception looks similar to this:
Web service request FindItems to Report Server http://server_name/reportserver/ReportService2005.asmx failed with SoapException. Error: The report server cannot open a connection to the report server database. A connection to the database is required for all requests and processing.
I managed to resolve this issue by following these steps and hope these help you too:
– as you may have renamed your machine after SQL server installation then you may have to read this blog first in order to rename the machine name bound to SQL server instance
– Run SQL server Reporting Services Configuration Manager
– Connect to it using the current server name and appropriate Report Server Instance
– Select Database tab
– You will see that under “Current Report Server Database” section the SQL Server Name is set to your old machine name (we need to get rid of this bad boy, stay tuned)
– Click Change Database button
– Select option “Choose an existing report server database”
– for Server Name type in your new machine name
– select ReportServer as your Report Server Databse
– then next, next until you finished
– restart SQL Server Reporting service and try installing again and you will be OK, I HOPE!!!!